Many people ask what they can do at home to address the tension patterns that curtail their quality of life–be it from pain, stiffness or just not feeling free and at their best. My answer is Essential Somatic Movement, often called somatics. I look forward to coaching you in this surprisingly gentle movement routine that opens space for resilience and fluidity in your system.
GROUP SOMATIC MOVEMENT CLASSES: coming soon
MORE ABOUT SOMATIC MOVEMENT:
Somatic Movements gently and effectively retrain your sensory nervous system (your brain!) to notice areas of habitual contraction in the body and voluntarily release them. You, alone, have the ability to know your body from the inside. Our bodies learn tension patterns in response to outside stressors–repetitive movement, injury, not to mention the pressure of keeping up and making due. The wonder of being human is that we can become conscious of holding patterns that have been unconscious and use that information to find the balance and mobility already living in our system.
I teach a series of somatic movements you can do at home to hone your own sensory awareness and release muscle contractions when they are no longer needed or helpful.
Somatic movement might be a good fit for you, if you…
- notice increasing stiffness in your joints,
- end up injured or hurting whenever you try doing favorite physical activities that you once did regularly without pain,
- never quite recovered from that last injury,
- notice it takes more and more effort to hold your body in an alignment that you associate with good posture.
- can feel when your body is “off” and want a way to try resolving it on your own,
- want a more effective warm up or cool down routine for running, climbing, hiking or crossfit to achieve better form during your workout and after,
- have muscle soreness or chronic pain,
- are a person who sometimes says you can’t feel your body, but you’d like to build that awareness.